Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My TFA Countdown...The Beginning of a TFA Blog

Almost 4 months ago, my life and career path for the next two years was changed drastically. On January 18th, 2011, I was officially accepted as a Teach For America corp member, and was tentatively assigned to teach highschool English in Dallas, Texas. No words can express the happiness, the shock, the confusion, the joy, and the bewilderment I felt all at once when I received my congratulatory email while I was in the computer lab. I wanted to shout out, to tell someone close to me -- but I knew no one in the computer lab. DILEMMA. So, I did what most millennial generation college students do: I told Facebook. The next week was a flurry of congratulation emails, Facebook messages, text messages, phone calls, and emails. I was on top of the world. (I'm still on top of the world btw)

But then the difficult part came: realizing exactly how much preparation this was going to take. Not only am I preparing myself mentally for one of the biggest challenges and most important experiences of my life, I have to spend hours pouring over test preparation material and teaching texts. Not to mention classroom observations! I may be slightly overwhelmed considering all the work I have to complete before graduating, but I know I can do it! I know I will get it done, and I know I will be as prepared as I could be on that first day of induction -- plus a few nervous stomach butterflies, some sweaty palms, and maybe a little sleep deprived from my anxious sleepless night the night before.

For the next two years, I will use this blog to chronicle my experiences with TFA, my school and my students for the next two years. I am so excited for what this experience can hold, and cannot wait to share it all with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment