Friday, September 17, 2010

WEEK ONE!

There were many interesting stories this week that enjoyed reading and listening to, and several techniques I noticed in these great pieces that I hope to emulate in mine. The news sources I read and listened to this week were The Huffington Post, 20/20, 60 Minutes, and "This American Life". Each news source offered a variety of techniques in delivery, composition, and development of their stories. On 20/20, I noticed they continuously offer interesting and unique stories, with strong leads that really peak your interest in the story. Elizabeth Vargas and Juju Chang are really skilled at crafting great leads. In the stories themselves, particularly during interviews, the anchors are great at hard-hitting questions that add to the interview and don't completely switch gears during the story. This aspect of journalism is something I desperately need to improve upon, and I definitely look to the anchors and correspondents of 20/20 as my lead example.

What I love about watching 60 minutes is their skill in consistently airing culturally relevant topics, even though the perception is that 60 minutes is "outdated" and only for "old people". Their continuous segment updates reminds me of radio, and I love knowing what has already been seen in the show, and what I can look forward to watching later.


What I find really appealing about the Huffington Post is the witty commentary and satirical nature of their stories. It really makes reading about hard-news more appealing and more interesting. Reading a story and having the links within the story I also really enjoy, versus detracting time to click on a link at the bottom of the page or in the sidebar. If I can figure out how to do that within my story, I definitely will add this technique to my "arsenal".


All three websites (60 minutes, 20/20, and the Huffington Post) really supplement their stories with great web extras. The links, photos, and extra video clips on each website really add to the story and keep me interested in learning more about the topic. My desire for my own stories is to really deepen the context of my story with such great additions in my web extras.
-Satirical nature, witty commentary (Huffington Post)
-Links included within the story (Huffington Post)

The last news source that I really enjoy is This American Life. I enjoy listening to the podcasts on This American Life because the journalists on the show have outstanding creativity within their scripts, and a keen ability to incite listeners interest and peak their emotions. As a radio-focused journalism student, there are a lot of techniques on this show I need to practice and emulate the most.


Something I saw that I didn't like this past week was on the Huffington Post. In reading some of their stories, like their coverage of the NFL analyst who was allegedly harassed in the N.Y. Jets locker room, and the video with President Clinton discussing his Global Initiative, I felt like too much of the story information was included in the headlines. I understand pulling viewers in with a poignant headline that sparks interest, while providing a little information about the story, but if the entire story focus is spelled out in the headline, it could prevent viewers from actually reading the story.



The past two weeks, I have been pouring over newspapers, reading press releases, and asking people, "What's going on in Columbia?" For me, coming up with story ideas is the probably the hardest step in putting together a news story. What I find baffling, interesting, or "newsworthy" isn't always so for the majority of our listening audience. Once I have a good story idea, the tedious process of calling and waiting for call-backs begins. How do I make my request for a few minutes of someone's time sound urgent but not forced? How can I make "writing a story for a class assignment" sound really exciting and worth their while? I haven't quite figured that out yet. I just emphasize the "only need 10 minutes of your time", and throw in some, "I would really appreciate", and "It would be great if...", and hope I get that long awaited phone call. When it comes to interviewing, my prior "skills" in speaking become my worst enemy. I have this affliction called, "Tendency to ask long-winded questions". It's fine when you're hanging out with friends, talking to your mother, or a significant other. But when I'm interviewing an official, they get a confused look on their face



No comments:

Post a Comment