Friday, October 1, 2010

So I can use big words? No one cares...

This week, the theme of being conversational hit me time and time again. As a journalism student, I have taken many writing classes, and know all the best SAT words. But all of that practice and preparation counts for nothing when you are writing a story that will be aired in a station where thousands of ordinary people will be listening. They won't be impressed by my grandiose vocabulary, they will just be bored. As I was listening to "This American Life" this week, I was again impressed with the extremely comfortable and conversational newscast I was listening to. For some reason, when I get to the voicing studio, this desire to be exciting and fresh comes over me and I talk in an obnoxious, sing-song voice. In watching the news this past week, I couldn't help but notice television anchors who do the same thing, and how annoying that gets, and also confusing to listen to. But watching some of the greatest anchors of all time on shows like 20/20 and 60 minutes, I am truly inspired by their ability to report on a huge story all the while talking like you are their closest neighbor. As we watched interviews and pieces by the late Ed Bradley with 60 minutes, poise and confidence are key elements in being an outstanding reporter or anchor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3MsLkk3wk

I know it will take some time, but hopefully soon, I will be able to show the confidence I have interacting with people in my stories and as I voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment