Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Beibs...

Alright, so I want to be very clear hear with my words and my opinion of Justin Bieber. I am NOT, and repeat AM NOT in any way attracted to a 16-year-old boy. I very much have a view of the biebster that bounces between uninterested and intrigued, but I will admit that my appreciation of his music has grown.

First, a little background....I was first introduced to Justin Bieber right as I left for camp at the beginning of summer '10. For the next 3 months, I was unable to escape the constant exposure to his songs from the boy-crazed 12 year olds under my care. They would sing his songs everywhere, draw pictures of him for our cabin, discuss him in depth during free time, and request his songs be played during daily chapel. At first I wondered, who is this kid? But by the end of the summer, I didn't really care to know him...I already knew too much: where he was born, what his eye color looked like, how beautiful his smile was, how great he was at dancing, how nice his flowing locks looked as he flipped his hair, how gorgeous his pre-pubescent voice sounded, and of course, how nice it was to gaze at his perfectly chiseled 16-year-old body.

Returning back to civilization after months of seclusion in the woods, I soon realized this guy was not going away. I proceeded to mostly tune him out, and dismiss him as an artist suitable for most of his fan base -- 13-year-old girls -- and nothing more. But little by little, I started to enjoy a few of the songs he had on the radio. I caught myself humming a few tunes, and actually singing along to "Eenie Meanie". What is happening??! I can't be turning into one of those creepy college-aged girls who are obsessed with some little kid!

I later reflected with a friend, and came to a resolution. If I was 10, I would probably be in love with Justin Bieber, just as I was in love with Justin Timberlake at that age...So, I can't really harp on his crazed fans, because I was once a crazed pubescent preteen as well. So this past weekend when someone suggested we go see "Never Say Never", Justin's debut movie, I was OK with it. And little did I know, I would actually enjoy it! Seeing that movie, I have a deeper appreciation for Justin Bieber as an artist (I know, that sounds kind of crazy), and I actually like his music! And I'm not gonna lie, the little guy has some swag! No wonder little girls are in love with him...Usher has definitely taught him well.

So, moral of the story: don't judge a book by its cover? Well, maybe, maybe not. I would say, never be "too cool" for anything...even listening to a scrawny little kid sing about his middle school crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment